With highest of hope and expectation on face this young new patient excitedly started as, “Doctor,I want get Vamana therapy done. I also want Basti for my Vata dosha,but we will start Vamana first.My friend got done from you last year and she is very satisfied with the results”. The case paper which i was about to fill , i kept aside.
I am so amazed to see such patients which enter the clinic with self diagnosis and now a days even ready with the treatment protocol in their mind,especially Panchkarma.
Lets see some myths and doubts that patient carry about Panchkarma.
- Panchkarma is for all. No,the doctor needs to categorize the patient whether the patient is suitable for the Panchkarma or not.Age,sex, strength, season, disease, need are some of the criteria for the indication.The Ayurveda text clearly narrated who and when are suitable for specific therapy and who are not.We cant offer it as per the choice or want of the patient.
- Panchkarma needs total rest. Most of the times the routine of patient is not disturbed though very small changes in routine are advised as the body undergoes significant changes in terms of Dosha. Vamana and Virechana needs at least one day full rest.Other indications depends on patient’s strength,nature of disease etc.
- All of five treatments are must in Panchkarma. Most of the times we choose the therapy according to body type, dosha and present illness.So it is not mandatory to go for all. The patient who wants to do Panchkarma for just well being ,are also advised to go for selected therapies by Ayurveda doctor.
- The dos and don’t s advised during Panchkarma is just a precaution. Never think so.The dos and don’t s are supposed to follow strictly during the course of Panchkarma.Many times patients take it very causally and the therapy goes wrong or unsatisfied for both the patient and doctor too. The dos and don’t s are very simple still ,why reluctant to follow them?
- Panchkarma once done is done for lifetime. Panchkarma is done to eradicate the vitiated dosha causing diseases in body when only the medicine is not enough.Once Panchkarma done if the diet ,lifestyle is followed properly the doshas stay normal in the body doing their normal functions.But the doshas can get vitiated by the various internal and external factors which when treated earliest don’t need Panchkarma again.
- Panchkarma is massage and Shirodhara. Panchkarma is the term which means five types of revetments.Massage and Shirodhara is not Panchkarma.
- Panchkarma can be done at home.
No.Panchkarma needs well equipped set up and qualified therapist and doctor.It needs checkups,followups and observation.Don’t play with health and the reputation of Ayurveda by following some wrong self experimenting regarding Panchkarma.
- Panchkarma is the solution for only old/chronic or major diseases.
No. many acute conditions are relieved by Panchkarma like osteoarthritis, hyper acidity, some skin diseases etc.
- Panchkarma can cure anything
Never see a doctor as God and his treatments as magic. Everything has its own limitations.The efficacy of Panchkarma depends upon the age,disease type,chronic or acute nature of Dosha, bad prognosis etc. Get the facts clear with your doctor before u expect something magic with some really non curable disease.
- Kerala Panchkarma is different therapy
No.Panchkarma is same everywhere,Kerala Ayurveda follows some sub types of massage and other therapies which are not Panchkarma.Basic Panchkarma is same.
- Panchkarma is costly.
Not at all. If you compare it with the exaggerated charges that other streams of medicine charges for consultation and even for small procedure, it is always less in Panchkarma. Choose a doctor and not the five star set up of the clinic.You have all of the rights to check and compare the various available doctors and their charges for Panchkarma.The doctor should be registered as Ayurveda doctor and should be trustworthy are the most important things the patient should consider. Panchkarma is a treatment which need skills in the Ayurveda ,involves the team and equipment,continuous observation and care that nothing goes wrong during the Panchkarma.The medicine cost being herbal and quality is maintained most of the times in authentic clinics is considerable. Its your choice to go in proper hands.
Panchkarma is the very unique treatment protocol in Ayurveda which is globally accepted and appreciated.Gain maximum of health from it. But first get the doubts and myths cleared. Doubts and queries welcome in comment section.