Oh so stoned!
This blog is dedicated to the many of us who still think chemist/pharmacist is as good as a doctor
“ Bhaiyya kidney stone ki dava dena (Dude, get me medicine for kidney stones!). I turned around to find a middle aged man asking to the chemist. It was not familiar medical shop for me and the shopkeeper didn’t know me. I stayed back looking for some more things to see what medicine he gives despite on counter sell is not allowed.
He in no time put three bottles of Ayurveda tablets and told that guy to take it for three months.I felt urge to interrupt and I allowed myself do so generously.
“ How can you sell without prescription and without any details of his urinary stone’s whereabouts?’’.
Both the chemist and the ‘stone studded man’ looked reluctantly at me.Chemist said “ Ayurvedic hai no side effects”. I said “ Really ?”
I asked the Stone man “How many stones ? What is the location? Are they causing obstruction?What type of stones? What are the measurements? Did you show to the doctor?”
His face was like “Itana bhav nahi deta mein stones ko bas kidney stones hai (I care damn about the details). Obviously my questions went unanswered and unwelcome.
I paid my bill saying “ You both seems to be educated and responsible, take care”.
This is the common scene in many places I know which is very dangerous for the consumer.
Kidney stones is not a simple or easy condition that any chemist can treat just like common cold or fever. It can be dangerous to try home remedies, Whats App medicine and quack formulae.
In this blog lets see some key points to know this condition. It is as important to know what should not be done as the to do list.
- What is Urinary/Kidney stones/Calculus ?: The hard deposits of minerals and salts which do not get flushed out of the kidneys but remains in urine to form hard stone like structure are called as kidney stones.
- What are the common different types of the stones ?
- Calcium stones : Common stones which are formed due to the deposits of Calcium present in urine
- Uric acid stones: Higher concentration of uric acid in blood causes these stones.
- Cysteine stones: Some diseases cause increased Cysteine in blood resulting in stone.
- Struvite stones: Kidney infections results in these stones.
Reasons and risk factors :
- Improper diet.
- Leading a sedentary lifestyle.
- Working under the hot sun for several hours.
- Excess physical activity.
- Consuming too much alcohol, tea, or coffee.
- Eating excess oily or sweet food.
- Not drinking enough water.
- Suppressing natural urges, such as going to the loo or urination.
- Family history of renal stones.
- Urinary tract infections, hyperthyroidism and renal tubal acidosis are medical conditions which may form renal stones .
- Symptoms :
- Pain in the side in lower stomach which generally shifts towards downside in groin.
- Painful urination
- Restricted flow with decreased urine volume.
- Chills and fever with vomiting.
- Burning and pain in urine track
Your doctor may ask you to do :
- 1.Urine routine tests to know the type of stones,infection if any and weather it is causing any internal bleeding.Urine culture in case of severe infection, presence of pus cells etc.
- 2.X ray and ultra Sonograghy to measure the stones , locate the site and assess the damage due to the obstruction or friction of stones.
- 3.Blood tests like Haemogram and blood uric acid level etc can be suggested if required.
- Pain relieving medication ,
- medication to alkalize the urine ,
- antibiotics to combat the infection.
- Analgesics for fever and pain.
- Hydrotherapy is the technique in which the patient is given intravenous fluid in large quantity and faster rate to produce the high volume of urine and easy passage of smaller stones naturally through the urinary tract. Remeber this therapy is done under the strict observation of the doctoe in hospital or clinic and not suitable for all. Persons with the cardiac ailments, renal problems and hypertension etc are not advised this therapy.
- Safe home remedies : Hot water sitz bath to reduce pain and encourage the urine flow.
- Diet dos and don’t:
- Warm liquid food to avoid indigestion and constipation which may further lead to painful gut.
- Combat dehydration by various Ayurvedic soups like lentil soup, Kokam soup ,pumpkin soup etc.
- Restrict animal protein intake .
- Use rock salt in stead of table salt.
- Kulith (Horse gram soup) is termed as the must diet remedy in urine stones.
- Exercise : Light exercise and yogasnas are advised. In acute conditions they should be better withhold and rest is advised.
- Surgical intervention:Not all stones are managed through medicine.Some stones are large and obstruct the ureters (urine carrying tubes),or bladders or kidney parts itself. Do not expect magical results from medicine and delay the surgery. fortunately there are easy and minimum invasive processes which use a small hole to perform the laparoscopic surgery to crush and drain the stones. Lithotripsy can be a choice of surgery often.
- Obstruction of the urinary tract is the most common and dangerous complication.
- Sepsis ,infection.
- Renal failure
- Shock due to acute pain and swelling . Ayurveda and Homeopathy can handle the conditions very well.Pain, stone size and complication are managed and prognosis is very good. Panchkarma, diet , lifestyle changes and diet remedies work wonders.
I hope this blog will surely give the people a clear idea. This condition definitely needs doctors attention and not a google hack for you to gamble at the cost of your precious kidneys.