They say girlfriends are demanding. They need constant attention, gifts and are never satisfied. They bother you at workplace, your own space and keeps you distracted. You can’t look over and fulfill their wants. You want or not, you wish to or not, you just have to do it.
What if your stomach starts acting like your GF.
What if your stomach keeps demanding often and you are unable to neglect? What if your stomach rules both your heart and brain too?
Sometimes the easy availability and accessibility harms more than the scarcity. Food is the best example I will say. The world is facing the evil outcomes of overfeeding same as the malnutrition. I will say overfeeding is increasing the overburden of health issues in modern society.
When we are surrounded by more than we need, we end up abusing no wonder.
Food addiction is one of the health disorders which is not unknown to many. Among many behavioral or psychological disorder food addiction is least recognized.
We feel no harm in eating whatever we like at any time and as many times as we want to. Its leading us mainly the youngster to the deep pit of sever chronic health issues.
Let’s see what this fuss is all about.What exactly is food addiction and how can we know it is addition?
Food addiction is like any compulsive eating disorder like binge eating, urge to feed self often and uncontrollable act of feeding self.
You are heading or already entered the food addiction zone if
- You feel urge to eat continuously despite of need and hunger.
- You cannot stay away from certain kind of food and eat that food regular.
- Apart from meal you munch on often regularly.
- You like the act of eating and want to repeat it.
- You keep aside everything important just to eat.
- You know the fact about your binge eating but still you cannot act on it.
- You know the harm of the food type you binge on still you chose to eat it often
- You feel safe and get the pleasure from certain taste.
- You hide your eating habits from others and eat secretly.
- You always think about the next meal or certain food.
- You get panicked if you don’t get certain food on some occasions.
- You spend pretty money on buying food even not need.
- You feel chronic fatigue, Difficulty concentrating
- If you suffer ,Sleep disorders, such as insomnia or oversleeping due to disturbed metabolism
- Restlessness, Irritability, Headaches
- Digestive disorders due to overeating and wrong food choices.
- Suicidal ideations in some cases due to extreme stress.
Reasons for the food addiction:
- Psychological reasons: Stress, depression insecurity, phobias and inferiority complexes may times altered the eating habits. Anorexia or binge eating or addiction to food are the two pole apart outcomes.The emotional trauma in many sexually abused victims or survivors is handled by excessive eating.
- Social reasons: Many times the social status and profession demands frequent lunch or snaking meetings may turn in to frequent eating.
- Personal choices : Eating habits, frequent munching in school, Watching TV,online activities with the constant company of snacks.
Brain is involved in food addiction
The brain shows same effects of food addiction as the other substance addictions like alcohol or smoking. The addictive food causes reward effects in certain areas of brain and the culprit is Dopamine hormone. That is why the cravings are uncontrollable and the resisting of food is difficult. This is the reason why the food addiction should be considered serious just like any other addiction.
The food addiction has all the ill effects on health of overeating and eating of fast foods.
- Digestive disorders
- Hyperacidity /ulcers
- Cardiac disorders
- Lose motions , impaired metabolism are the major health ailments due to food addictions.
Along with these ,
Psychological Effects – Food addiction can be debilitating to mental health, especially if there is a lack of support or inadequate help. Some of the psychological effects that may be experienced include:
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Increased feelings of anxiety
- Feeling sad, hopeless, or in despair
- Increased irritability, especially if access to desired food is restricted
- Emotional detachment or numbness
Social effects of food addiction :
- Decreased performance at work or school
- Isolation from loved ones
- Division within family units
- Lack of enjoyment in hobbies or activities once enjoyed
- Avoidance of social events or functions
List of common addictive foods:
- Salty fried (chips, snaking items)
- All ready to eat and packaged food because of food color,flavor additives like MSG, corn starch,aspartame, sodium benzoate etc
- Sweets (chocolates, desserts, candies, cookies)
- Easily accessible (fast food) food (fried , extra saly )
- Food that can be stored easily (chocolates, chivda, farsan , cookies)
- Ice creams, tea, coffee
- Tangy (tomato ketchup)
- Soda ,canned juice
- Steak, bacon
- French fries.
All of the fast foods can be addictive due to addictive portion of salt ,sugar, mono sodium glutamate , fried nature of food.
Food addiction is a problem that rarely resolves on its own. Unless you make a conscious decision to deal with it, chances are it will worsen over time.
Seek professional help in terms of counseling and dealing with associated health alignments.
Educating people about this addiction is the need of time. Discuss and teach this in schools, high school etc.
Giant food companies are the platform for this addiction, so this subject purpose fully suppressed. Media should come forward with a firm step to aware the youth.