Drenching sweat, pumped biceps and a glass of thick protein shake is an eye pleasing site in many gyms or training centers.Put that glass aside and read this!
Sachin Tendulkar is the God of cricket .For the Gym lovers and body builders Whey protein is nothing less than God!Friends, dietician, gym guru and may be even the sweeper in the gym swear by the whey protein!
You breathe or not its your choice. But if you want to make \’Dole Shole\’ (muscles), guys there is no escape from the huge glass of the thick chocolaty or vanilla Whey protein shake every post workout. This is the unsaid rule in any gym!
Be aware Whey lovers what you are going to read in this blog may hurt your sentiments towards the beloved Whey Protein!
What is Whey protein?
The leftover watery part in the curdled milk like in process of cheese making or Paneer(cottage cheese) is called Whey. Have you seen the watery part on the curd sometimes.Yes that is Whey!
The protein concentrates obtained from this called as Whey Protein.There are two types of useful protein one can get from milk casein(80%) and Whey(20%)
The cheese makers used to throw this watery part before they come to know the commercial values of it.
Why they love \’whey\’ ?
Famous for accelerating the fast fat loss and muscle gain. Whey protein when used in accurate form and quantity can be beneficial in weight management, immunological disorders, increasing body mass, managing malnutrition etc. But this form of protein is more popular and loved in weight trainers,athletes, gym goers and used as food supplement in large and regular quantity.
The post workout protein is most of the times costly jar of whey powder.
What are the disturbing facts ? What are the side effects?
- It is a processed food ,not natural :Whey is separated as an extract from a whole food which means you are separating just a single part from a well balanced nutritional food. It is prepared by various food processes which make it an artificial product.
- Added chemicals:Whey protein alone is tasteless and it is always added with artificial flavors,taste enhancers and sweeteners etc.
Most protein supplements contain artificial ingredients that may promote sugar cravings, glucose intolerance, and/or fat gain.
- Not gut friendly: Whey protein if taken in large quantity and when the appetite is low it can disturb the gut micro bacterial flora and can result in to indigestion.Bloating,heaviness,gases,stomach ache and constipation .Frequent complaints can severely affect the gut health and digestive health.
- Effect on Insulin production:Whey proetin induces insulinogenesis which means it increases the insulin secretion against the cellular metabolism as an effect of the protein. The effect of insulin response is found even more than other dairy products and bread.
- Acne is seen as the side effect in many who regularly consume of Protein supplement due to the low grade chronic inflammation in various systems caused by disturbed gut flora.
- Risk of kidney stones: The high dose concentrate of protein may lead to kidney stones.The people already suffering from kidney problems should remain away from the protein supplements.
- Risk of Gout: Along with the protein the amino acids present if not metabolised properly can accumulate in the small joints causing painful gout.The people already suffering from it should be very careful while choosing the protein powder.
You are not drinking only protein:
Unwanted Ingredients in the protein powder:
1. Casein + WPC: High in lactose can cause intolrance symptoms.
2. Gluten: Food sensitivities to gluten can elevate inflammation in some people and cause a range of health problems including hormonal imbalances, skin conditions, fatigue, mood swings, and headaches.
3. Dextrin /Glucose : high glycemic index load is the side effect of this sugar form.
4. Artificial sweeteners :Common artificial sweeteners used are sucralose, splenda (955), aspartamine, equal, NutraSweet (951), or saccharin (954). These may cause headache, migraine, gastric distress, depression, and weight gain.
5. Skim milk powders/milk solids: a cheap bulking agent in some powders. They are high in lactose sugars, which can cause bloating, gastrointestinal distress, constipation, and loose stools.
6. Soy protein:Most soy proteins come from genetically-modified sources with high pesticide use. The phyto estrogen in it may cause thyroid and other hormonal imbalances.
7. Vegetable oils and fats:Trans fats raise levels of bad cholesterol and lower levels of good cholesterol.
8. Thickeners and gums:Thickeners and gums, including xanthan gum, are manufactured from soy or corn and can cause bloating and gas.
9. Fillers :Fillers are often added to bulk up the protein for commercial purpose.Some fillers include ingredients such as coconut flour or psyllium,
10.Sodium : as preservative can cause all the effects of high salt like hypertension.
What is the solution?
- Eat the food and not something that looks like food.The whole natural food benefits are far more than any synthetic supplement.
- Consult a proper nutritionist for the protein supplement.
- Be wise to read the ingredients on the protein supplement packet and understand the meaning of them and then choose on to sip on.
- Understand the body constitution ,appetite and other health aspects before starting it.
- You cant just feed and fill your body with protein. It needs to be digested through a complex metabolism. If not tolerated or assimilated properly it can be dangerous. Choose more stomach and digestion friendly form of protein.
- The traditional balanced diet consisting of proper portion of fat,carbohydrates,proteins in the form of oil/ghee, vegetables ,fruits ,dried fruits,grains and cereals and/or meat is anytime safe to the scoops of powder.
The divided portion and quantity of the meal and the wise choice of food is more body friendly way to gain, loose weight or build your body mass gradually!
6 thoughts on “50 shades of ‘Whey’ : A scoop of protein and you!”
Wery well explained about Whey protein.
Its useful .
Its very imp information madam. Thank u
Pingback: * Health – Site Title
USA वरुन दिलेल्या माहितीसाठी मनपुर्वक धन्यवाद.🙏.
We too are concerned about the added ingredients in protein shakes and have researched and compiled a detailed analysis of the typical additives, plus the science about their effects on your digestive system here: https://gainsmith.com/nutrition/whats-in-protein-shakes/
It’s a great article we too are concerned about the added ingredients in protein shakes and have researched and compiled a detailed analysis of the typical additives, plus the science about their effects on your digestive system here https://sarmsstore.co.uk for mor info