“Every alternate day i give chapati role with cheese spread with various flavors in
lunch box.”A regular patient’s mother .
“This much frequent use of cheese spreads and other ready to use spread isn’t good for your 5 year old son” i was trying to explain .”Once in a while you can treat him with it but it shouldn’t be the regular tiff-in stuff, Dear”
“What you are saying ,i understand but then what should i give him , any alternative?
Sometimes we are so busy in understanding unwinding the complex , far things that we overlook the simple things close or in front of us that blow us with their wonders. When i say try to avoid ready to eat food its my duty to give access to some good alternative to my patients , that too not complicated and easy to make and yes most important tasty too.
“I can give you a big list of good alternate item , lets take simple chutney e.g” i said.
“A chutney !! how can it replace the tasty spreads ? “She was asking with eyes wide open. I said “Make simple chutney of roasted seasome seeds , dried curry leaves and garlic adding red chili powder and salt to taste. 3 min job right ? Now keep this dry powder air tight . whenever you want some kind of spread add fresh sweet curd into the chutney a pinch of chat masala and your fresh seasome garlic spread is ready. You can add this dry chutney in various curries, salads , daal etc . It will add the nutritional benefit as well as the taste . If you will see the benefits of such a simple,3minutes recipe you will forget the processed,salty,preservative loaded market spreads . I can give you the list of such spreads but try this simple one first. But again variety is the key.Everyday chutney spread is not recommendable. Instill an good food habit in him with all kind of regular good food.”
She was quite happy and her son had reduced consuming the market spreads thankfully.
We should also see the health facts of this chutney to understand why we doctors stress on these herbs in diet.
Garlic and sesame curry leaves chutney:
- Dry roast sesame seeds and let cool.
- shadow dried and slight dry roasted curry leaves.
- Garlic , rock salt and chili powder
- Mix and grind well all ingredients in mixer and your chutney is ready.
- Store is a dry airtight container .
- Shelf life : 1 week
- The quantity of this chutney should be not more than 2 or 3 tsp daily as the ingredients are hot in property .
Interesting facts about this really simple , tasty chutney
- According to Ayurveda texts sesame a immune booster for skin and hair .
- No wonder almost every oil in Ayurveda has base of sesames oil.
- Hot property bearing these are best Vata dosha pacifying herb.
- Contains antioxidants like seasamol, seasaminol.
- Niacin B-complex vitamin and folic acid found abundantly in sesame.
- Calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, magnesium, selenium, and copper
- The amazing aroma of this herb is the must add in almost every Sabji , Daal and other spicy dishes in Asia and specially Indian dishes.
- The bitter taste dominant and a good appetizer.
- Cool in property, aromatic, anthelmintic, carminative, anti-inflammatory.
- Curry leaves contain iron, calcium, vitamin C, and phosphorous.
- Garlic is carmicide in nature with hot property and useful in vaat dosha dominant diseases. There are many herbal preparations in which Garlic is the lead ingredient.
- Almost must ingredient in Asian dishes it is useful in digestive disorders.
- Garlic is an excellent source of minerals and vitamins that are essential for optimum health. The bulbs are one of the richest sources of potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and selenium. Selenium is a heart-healthy mineral, and is an important cofactor for antioxidant enzymes within the body. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. Iron is required for red blood cell formation.
- It contains many flavonoid anti-oxidants like carotene beta, zea-xanthin, and vitamins like vitamin-C. Vitamin C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.This simple recipe in deed act as a multi vitamin pill for you that too natural multivitamin no synthetics used.
Trust your traditions and traditional food habits!
6 thoughts on “Spread it healthy way!”
Good to Follow.
Need to follow.
Reblogged this on Dr.Rupali Panse and commented:
The need to know better about the food we eat can help alter the bad food habits. If we are eating large portion of our meal which is processed or preserved with loaded non organic things, we are simply not making progress but lowering the values of lifestyles.
Thanks Rupali tai. As my Aaji, Aai used to make lots of diff. dry chutnies. A pinch of chat masala is the real twist.
Nice Recipe Garlic and sesame curry leaves chutney. Thank you for sharing with us.